Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Right Wing and Values

Well, I'm linking to Steve Gilliard (who links to Kos, the original source) on this because that's where I posted a comment.

The posts are all on the Clooney-O'Reilly feud which is going on these days and then on the character of the two men. Steve and his cementers present a number of stories showing that Clooney is a real stand-up guy and a great person. It points up to me a conclusion that I've been coming to for a while now. The right wing talks a lot about values and honor and character as being important, but to a lot of us it has seemed to be pretty superficial concern. As if they don't really care about character, just to talk about it, as if that were sufficient (think Bill Bennett and gambling, or Tom Delay and ... anything).

But the Clooney-O'Reilly spat, along with many other stories over the past several years, are leading me to conclude that the right wing isn't just superficial when it comes to character issues. It's not just that they talk about it as important and then are indifferent to whether character is actually displayed. I think that the leading voices of the right talk about it as important, but then despise anyone who actually displays any of the characteristics of virtue (honor, integrity, honesty, fairness, etc.). To actually have these characteristics is seen as weak and/or stupid.

This is how you get someone like O'Reilly (who sees his staff as sex toys) trying to imply impropriety on the part of Clooney, a man on whom no word of wrong doing has ever be placed. Clooney is an honest man and O'Reilly despises that.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

Dear MSR,
I must agree about O'Reilly. I do not listen to him on the radio because he seems too upity for me. At the same time, however, I would not blanket the entire right wing with superficiality. I am a conservative, and I believe the comment you left for me in regards to the Federalist Quote of the day on Tuesday, Jan. 11, was better written that I! I didn't quite know how to put into words what you did so eloquently. Thank you. As far as Mr. Clooney, I have nothing to say. He has a right to his beliefs, speech, and life. If I disagree on some issue, I have a right to say as much. But why bother? Hehehe. Thank you for stopping over. Would you like me to link you to my site? Let me know if you do. Have a wonderful day.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

You are a very beautiful person. I will link you to my "My Cool Sites." I also have American On Line linked to my site. He is a nice fellow with which we politically disagree, but he is kind. I agree that discourse between those you disagree is one of the best ways to grow and learn. As long as ppl are mature enough to be civil. I would appreciate it if you do not hold back on your blog. It is your blog. It is your freedom of speech. I want you to enjoy it to the fullest. I do not want to feel as though I caused you to censure yourself. Please, feel free! Don't worry about being late in your response. I am just as bad! Hehehe. Have a wonderful day.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

American On Line. Try this one. I think I did the other one wrong. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home