Wednesday, June 06, 2007

More Monica

Hat tip to ThinkProgress.

Monica Goodling's situation is growing ever more interesting. She, you will recall is the Justice Department Official who was unable to tell Congress about her work in the Justice Department as it might incriminate her. She has since resigned, received immunity from prosecution and testified before Congress. During that testimony she made the unforgettable comment while being questioned by Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA) during her testimony before Congress
“I don’t believe that I intended to commit a crime," she said at first. Then, when he pressed, “I know I crossed the line of civil service rules."
Did that mean she crossed the line of breaking the law, he asked? "I believe I crossed the line, but I didn’t mean to," she said.
"I crossed the line, but didn't mean to." My teenager is past those kinds of excuses. I would expect more from a high-ranking Offical of the Justice Department.

Now, though, we get release of emails that are quite interesting (see here). So while she may have gone over the line but didn't mean too, she was quite consciously arranging to do these things "outside the system." Look, it isn't an innocent, inadvertent slip-up when you make special arrangements to keep it secret. You arrange to work "outside the system" specifically because you know what you are doing is against the rules. And when you are an official of the Justice Department, against the rules is quite serious.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Adrian said...

Grateful for shharing this

 

Post a Comment

<< Home